Kathy wrote a really neat post about quips, idioms, and lingo, which I found to be highly entertaining, so I am thankful to her for tagging me in on the fun! I hope that my contribution tickles her pink!
When I fist read this post I thought “How funny is this that I found a post about idioms the same day that my daughter and I completed a homework assignment about idioms.” After I had just finished explaining that being on top of the world meant that you were extremely happy, rather than being physically in outerspace, I died laughing because of this post’s timming!
There was an example on her sheet for spilled the beans but I would rather use my words instead… I explained to her that someone mistankingly let out a secrect, rather than dropping food on the floor. How’d I do? She was laughing, and she still remembers it even now, so I think that it is mission accomplished!
Here are some others that we discussed:
- It’s raining cats and dogs!
- If you stay up late you are a night owl.
- I am so hungry I could eat a horse.
- Please try to be quiet like a mouse.
- You are a great swimmer so you swim like a fish.
- Daddy drives fast so he flies like a bird.
- When someone yells they bark like a dog.
Ok. Let’s give these poor animals a break! How about some others, that I did not mention to her, for a change of scene?
- I can’t put my finger on it.
- Stop and smell the roses.
- I got my eyes on you.
- I see the light at the end of the tunnel.
- I can see that a mile away.
Now, let’s take a stroll down memory lane, to see my old kitchen lingo:
- In the weeds means that you are extremely busy.
- 86ed is the term used to describe product shortages.
- High5 was my very own way of saying great job!
- Stiffed means that you did not get a tip.
- The rush is the period of highest guest traffic.
Yesterday I made a boo boo because I was supposed to share a Fun Friday Post. I hope this one can be considered better late than never!
I do hope that you all enjoyed this. Thank Kathy if you did because it was her idea. I would like to encourage anyone reading this to join in because it was fun! Simply tag her to keep the ball rolling! What is my deal… do I speak Idiomlish?
What sayings, idioms, or funny lingo do you have hidden in your realm? Do you use them often or simply bite your tongue when they begain to creep out?
I hope you are all having a great weekend! I hope to hear from you.