Ciorbă de varză is a soup with smoked meat and cabbage. I promised you all this recipe in a recent post named “Romania” which I hope that you all enjoyed.
So… here it is…
- 1 Medium sized onion
- 1/2 pound of smoked meat cut into 1×1 inch cubes
- 1 Teaspoon of dried Thyme
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 Can of Sour Kraut or a whole sour cabbage chopped up
- 1 Cabbage Head also chopped very fine
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Large Tomato
- Finely chop and sauté the onion with 2 table spoons of olive oil.
- Add in 1/2 pound of cubed smoked meat.
- Add thyme and bay leaves.
- Add a big can of “dried” sour kraut (Squeeze out the juice) or the sour cabbage.
- Cut the cabbage head into tiny pieces, salt it, squeeze it and then add it in and cover with water.
- Add large pieces of freshly cut red pepper.
- Add diced tomatoes.
- Continue to add water, salt, pepper, and tomato bouillon as needed for taste.
I do hope that you all enjoy this recipe. Please let me know if you have tried this before.